hygienic revolution

Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - Posted by Amanda Bast
This morning I sent an email to someone in charge:

"To whom it may concern,

I am a fourth year student here at the university, and I've noticed something over the past few years I thought I would share in light of the ecoli outbreak. When I have paid a visit to the UC washrooms, I've noticed (on more than one occasion) staff from hospitality services wearing an apron when they enter a stall. These are the same aprons they wear when preparing food.


I'm not saying that wearing an apron in the washroom is a cause of ecoli contamination, not by any means. Guelph hospitality services has an excellent reputation, but isn't it important to look at the little things like this? I do realize that it is impossible to be 100% sanitary at all times, but I really think this is a simple issue that needs to be addressed. As a student, it is important to know that hospitality services have our best interest in mind.

Thank you for your time and consideration."

This afternoon I got two responses. The first:

"Thank you for your email. We will follow this up. David B."

The second:

"Hi my name is Chris and I am the manager of C6 foodcourt. I thank you very much for your observations regarding aprons being worn into the public washrooms and I agree with you. Today we have informed all staff to make sure when using the washroom they are to remove their aprons before washroom use. We are making every effort to increase awareness among our staff regarding food safety and we thank you for bringing this matter to our attention. Please do not hesitate to approach me directly in C6 if you have any further concerns. Sincerely, Chris"

The world is a little cleaner thanks to me, and this feels like an accomplishment. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go wash my hands.