Hug it out, I say...hug it out...

Friday, December 22, 2006 - Posted by Amanda Bast
I'm sitting in the dark living room, beside the lit Christmas tree, analyzing life, like I usually do when I have too much spare time on my hands. I don't like the feeling of being constantly busy, but sitting around doing nothing isn't exactly a riot, either. Hey, Kyle painted the bathroom today...maybe I'll go stare at the wall. Um. No.

Last night was the second annual EDSS Family Christmas Dinner Reunion. It was held at the lovely Miss Jessica's house, and it was fairly well attended (except for those goobs who decided to work). Getting to Glen Allan is always an adventure. When I arrived, I just about crapped myself getting out of the Bastmobile, because well, I was greeted by some...ummm...interesting...noises. There was grunting, and it sounded like something straight out of Sexuality class. I froze with multiple scenarios running through my head, and wished I had brought my whistle, or at least my nightstick with me. It took a little bit, but I realized that I was indeed, at a pig farm, and those grunts were merely those of the stinky little piggies in the barn next to me. Give me a break, I'm a city kid with a big imagination.

It was super cool to see everyone, and especially cool to get attack-hugged by JoeJoe, my trusty wingman from the days at Elmira. It's strange to think we don't see each other everyday, and even stranger, as Rachel pointed out, that we have to ask each other the "what are you doing with yourself these days?" question. We're semi-grown ups. Eek.

We had some good conversations, the only hinderance being my reaction to the cat. Sneezing, stuffy nose (it whistled sometimes), wheezing, tight chest, making it difficult to breathe, and of course, the man voice. It's pretty sexy. I should call one of those singles hotlines. But...um...no thank you.

Oh Christmas. Why do you bring out all the crappy music, tiny tiny cookies and tacky decorations? I'm a little upset that I never made it to the mall to sit on Santa's lap, but considering I ordered my own Christmas present online, I don't know if it's necessary. Next year, I'm there. Right on the lap of an old man. I hope he smells like cheese.

I'm finding Christmas really strange this year. Maybe it's because people have lives of their own now. I'm the only remaining child at home, and even though Joshie will be sleeping over (pillow fight and face mask time!!!!) it will still be strange not to have Mattie home to complain about getting up early on Christmas morning, and to steal all the icing off the cinnamon buns.

Or maybe it's the fact that all the people I have spent most of my time with this past year, are headed home for the holidays, and are spending time with their own families. It is odd to me that the people I care most about (apart from my family) will be somewhat absent during the next few days. And timing is weird. I don't know what else to say, just that timing is very strange and maybe not so coincidental (that's a whoooole other post). Also, I miss all things argyle and lovely.

Or maybe, it's because there is no snow. I highly doubt that. The Bastmobile enjoys the lack of snow. I should fix the back wiper agian before the snow comes, and I can't see anything.

Or maybe, I need a better hobby other than thinking.

Whichever it is, Christmas will go on regardless. All I have left to say is that I wish you a very Merry Christmas. Hug everyone you meet (well, maybe not the grumpy old man in the grocery store that is holding a stick of salami...but umm, you know what I mean), because hugs are generally a good thing. A very good thing.